AA European Breakdown Cover Review

If you’re someone who often travels around Europe then lucky you! However, if you do fall into this bracket its unlikely you don’t already have European breakdown cover of some sort, in which case, you’re on the wrong page of our website. Why not check out what we have for home or pet cover instead, there are some equally good deals to be found.

So, for those of you that have breakdown cover for your vehicle in the UK but, you intend to take a trip to Europe for either business or pleasure, below you will find some information on what the AA has to offer you.

You may not know but, this company (which is one of the oldest around) will allow you to take out European breakdown cover as an add-on to the policy you already have. This is incredibly useful if you like to spend your holidays abroad and want to drive rather than fly. Personally, I would drive over flying any day but that’s a story for some other time!

Before we get started on why you should consider using the AA for your European breakdown cover, here is a little statistic for you. In over 80% of cases, this insurance company will settle any costs involved directly with the supplier (chosen by them of course) which means you won’t have to lift a finger in terms of claiming anything back. Not only does this take the hassle out of dealing with people outside of the UK, it also means you won’t have to reach for your wallet so you can get back on the road again.

Benefits of AA European Breakdown Cover

You may think all insurance companies are the same but they’re not! Some of the benefits you will find below are exclusive to the AA and cannot be found anywhere else:

  • An English speaking and translation service that’s available to you 24/7 (no excuses)!
  • You will either be towed to the nearest garage if a mechanic cannot fix the problem on the roadside which, in most cases can be done in the blink of an eye.
  • In more serious cases you will benefit from vehicle recovery back to the UK or to the destination you intended to get to in the first place (whichever is the cheapest).
  • It doesn’t matter how old your vehicle is, it is possible to take European breakdown cover out with the AA.
  • You can receive up to £1,200 towards flights, car hire and public transport if your vehicle has really given up the ghost.
  • If you need emergency accommodation the AA will cover you for up to £500.

Answers to Questions You May Have

Is it possible to buy cover once I’ve already left for my trip?

Yes it is. But, you have to do this before you leave the UK. There are AA outlets at both Folkestone and Dover where you can get cover. Or, you can call a number (found on their website) and the insurance will be arranged for you. Wondering how you get the details? Easy! The AA will text you once everything is in place.

What if I’m already abroad?

Ordinarily you won’t be able to get cover for your trip. However, if you have access to the internet, a landline and are in France the AA has kindly given you a telephone number to call. For any other country that’s covered and you have a mobile number (you will still need to go to their website), they also have numbers you can call. In fact, whilst it may not always be possible to get cover for your trip back to the UK, the AA will do all they can to help you.

What Countries are covered?

There are too many to list here but pretty much all Countries across Europe are covered by the AA. If you’re not sure just follow the link on our website under AA European Breakdown cover and you will find a full list there.

A Little More Information

For many of you reading this, you will, of course make plans with regards to breakdown cover before you go on your trip and doing this online is the best way to save some cash. If you’re already an AA member you can get up to 30% off when you purchase cover in this way. If you’re not a member you haven’t been forgotten, you will be eligible for up to 20% off.

One more thing worth noting is the AA has thought about all those people that love to take a one day “shopping” trip over to Europe. Cover for this starts at £4.73 however, your car must be no older than one year, and there must be fewer than nine of you travelling. If you fall outside of this bracket, it’s still worth giving them a call.

Get A Free Quote


advert image